In support of this role a Principal Engineer will develop and apply advanced hardware and systems methods, theories, and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex and advanced technical problems. Plan, conduct, technically direct, and evaluate projects or major phases of significant projects, coordinating the efforts of engineers and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects. Conduct investigations and tests of considerable complexity. Review literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects. Recommend corrections in technical application and analysis. Evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services. Provide technical consultation to other organizations.
- Performs professional technical work which is complex in nature and requires in-depth knowledge and diversified application of systems engineering principles, theories, concepts, practices and techniques generally used to solve problems within a defined field of technology and ensure execution of systems engineering processes across the life cycle.
- Performs integrative activities to combine contributions and balance tradeoffs among cost, schedule, and performance while maintaining an acceptable level of risk covering the entire life cycle of the systems.
- Mold all the technical contributors into a unified team effort, forming a structured system life cycle process that proceeds from concept to production to operation and eventually to termination and disposal.
- Development, review, and verification of technical requirements.
- Documentation reviews, drawing reviews; and acquisition documentation development.
- Ensure Systems Requirements Analysis (SRA) is performed to assure program objectives and system-level requirements are met and integration of system functions, elements, and requirements are involving all the necessary engineering disciplines in the process.
- Reviews test plans and ensures referential integrity.
- Generates, reviews and approves written reports supporting the design, analyses and test
- Product design including drawings, engineering specifications, and other associated documentation.
- Report on project status and progress measured against specific plans.
- Prepares design review packages and present data both internal and external customers.
- Coordinates and directs the work efforts of lower level engineers and support personnel, if assigned
- Assignments may include development of new techniques from independent study, materials development and support of proposal efforts.
- Reviews systems engineering processes and support continuous process improvement activities.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- Must be able to regularly stand, walk; sit; use hands to handle, feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move technical equipment.
Required/Preferred Education & Experience:
- Engineering Degree and 15 years’ progressive experience in systems integration and analysis of military hardware and software systems/processes required
- 8-10 years’ experience leading systems design, integration and analytical efforts required
- Experience in drafting highly technical documentation, briefs and reports required
- Experience leading Integrated Product Teams preferred
- Experience in the Cyber/PKI/IA community preferred
- Experience in supporting the fielding of new PKI or IA associated software or hardware preferred
- Ability to communicate highly technical information effectively both orally and in writing required
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Knowledge of DoD Acquisition and Risk Management processes
- Ability to work with a wide variety of contributors in a fast-paced and demanding environment is essential
Required licenses or Certifications:
- Valid driver’s license and must be a U.S. Citizen
- Possess and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
It is the policy of Osi Vision to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status regarding public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Osi Vision will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.